One of my favorite new items from this year’s EPCOT Festival of the Holidays is the new Peanut Stew, found at the Refreshment Outpost, and totally vegan as is – now we’ve got the recipe! Big thanks to Disney Parks and Disney Eats for sharing this recipe, so now I don’t have to attempt to recreate it at home through trial and error! (Also, I’m totally going to make a huge supply of those spiced peanuts, they are so good!)
If you’re looking for all of the vegan eats at the 2022 EPCOT Festival of the Holidays, we have a full vegan guide, video, posts on our instagram page, reels, tiktoks and more! (We’ve got you covered!)
Now let’s get to the Peanut Stew recipe:
EPCOT International Festival of the Holidays presented by AdventHealth
- 1 cup shelled raw peanuts
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup diced yellow onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh ginger
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1 medium white potato, peeled and diced
- 2 teaspoons salt, plus more, to taste
- 1//4 teaspoons black pepper
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- 3 cups tightly packed chopped mustard greens
- 1/4 cup ground chili paste
- 2 cups peanut butter, divided
- 1/2 cup diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped cilantro
- 1 1/2 cups jasmine rice
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt, plus more, to taste
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- Spiced peanuts
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions
FOR SPICED PEANUTS:
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- Spread peanuts on baking sheet and bake for 8-10 minutes, until oil begins to release from peanuts.
- Combine smoked paprika, ground cayenne, and coarse salt together in a small bowl. Add warm peanuts and stir until coated in spices.
- Cool to room temperature. Store in airtight container up to 1 week.
FOR PEANUT STEW:
- Heat canola oil in a large pot over medium heat for 5 minutes, until hot. Add onion, garlic, and ginger, and sauté for 5 minutes. Stir in diced sweet and white potatoes and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Stir in salt, pepper, and tomato paste and cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes. Pour in vegetable stock. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and add mustard greens, ground chili paste, and 1 cup of peanut butter. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes, until sweet potatoes are tender.
- Add remaining cup of peanut butter, diced tomatoes, and cilantro. Stir until peanut butter is fully incorporated. Season with additional salt, to taste.
- Keep warm until ready to serve.
- Place rice in mesh strainer and rinse with cold water until water runs clear.
- Combine rice, water, coarse salt, and canola oil in a medium saucepan. Bring water to a boil, cover, and reduce to simmer.
- Simmer for 20-25 minutes, until water is absorbed and rice is tender.
- Season with additional salt, to taste. Keep warm until ready to serve.
Evenly divide white rice among bowls. Top with peanut stew. Garnish with spiced peanuts and sliced green onions.
Always use caution when handling sharp objects and hot contents. Please supervise children who are helping or nearby.
This recipe has been converted from a larger quantity in the restaurant kitchens. The flavor profile may vary from the restaurant’s version.
Be sure you’re subscribed to VeganDisneyFood on YouTube for more video companion reviews!
Connect with VeganDisneyFood
@VeganDisneyFood on Instagram – where we post the latest vegan dishes and mouthwatering photos
VeganDisneyFood on YouTube – subscribe for the latest videos!
@VeganAtDisney – on twitter too!
LOOKING FOR VEGAN OPTIONS IN THE THEME PARKS, WATER PARKS AND DISNEY SPRINGS?
Click any of the images below for those guides.
LOOKING FOR VEGAN OPTIONS IN THE WALT DISNEY WORLD RESORT HOTELS?
Click the image below for that guide.